Cannes 2019 Film Festival: Impressive focal points at the Golden Palm Festival this year
After 12 exciting days (14-25 May 2019), the 72nd Cannes Film Festival officially closed with the announcement of awards to create an unexpected wave for fans. as Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt’s anticipated film, Quentin Tarantino – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – had to go home empty-handed, while the Korean film Parasite had a surprising victory.
The awards ceremony for the 72nd Cannes Film Festival was held at the Light Theater (Grand Théâtre Lumière) in the coastal city of Cannes, France. After 12 days of exciting activities, attracted many attendees and the attention of major news agencies around the world. Until now, Cannes Film Festival has always been praised for its prestige and unexpected factors. And this year is no exception.
At this 72th awards ceremony, there are 21 official competition films (Golden Palm), 18 Un Certain Regard sub-films and eight films but not competing. The jury of Golden Palm includes director Alejandro González Iñárritu (president), Enki Bilal, Robin Campillo, Maimouna N’Diaye, Yorgos Lanthimos, Paweł Pawlikowski, Kelly Reichardt, Alice Rohrwacher and actor Elle Fanning.
Unexpected victory in the category of Golden Palm Branch
Unexpected expectations of fans about a repeating history after 25 years of Pulp Fiction by director “monster” Quentin Tarantino for the movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The Golden Palm Prize for best film category of the year belongs to Korean director Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite.
The Parasite follows a family of four who face many difficulties, trying to find a job to find themselves from a wealthy family. The story is dramatic, surprising with many scenes of violence but with many sarcastic meanings about social reality.
According to the Polygon page, the Parasite is like a symphony. The interesting thing in the movie is not only that viewers will never guess what is coming, but also cleverly make them review it many times.
Korean director Bong Joon Ho, who previously caused a lot of buzz with films Memories of Murder (2003), The Host (2006) and Snowpiercer (2013). And the latest is a collaboration with Netflix Okja (2017).
The Parasite has gone down in history, helping Korean cinema to leave its mark when winning the first prestigious award at Cannes Film Festival.
Other noble awards
This year’s Grand Prix went to the Atlantics of French director Mati Diop. She is also the first female director to compete for the Palme d’Or in Cannes.
List of awards at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival
- Palme d’Or (Golden Palm): “Parasite”, Bong Joon-ho
- Grand Prix (Grand Prize): “Atlantics”, Mati Diop
- Best director: Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, “The Young Ahmed”
- Best original script: Céline Sciamma, Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Special Mention of the Jury (Special Award of BGK): It Must Be Heaven, Elia Suleiman
- Jury Prize (Prize of the Jury): Les Misérables, Ladj Ly; and Bacurau, Kleber Mendonça Filho – Juliano Dornelles
- Best actress: Emily Beecham, Little Joe
- Best actor: Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory
- Camera d’Or (Golden Camera prize): Our Mothers, César Díaz
- Best short film: The Distance Between Us And The Sky, Vasilis Kekatos
- Special Mention of the Jury (short film): Monstruo Dios, Agustina San
- Queer Palm – gay palm prize: Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Céline Sciamma
- Queer Palm (short film): The Distance Between Us And The Sky, Vasilis Kekatos